We have added the most common questions and answers below to help give you as much information as possible. If you cannot find the information you need, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Can Kerry County Childcare Committee help me find a creche/preschool?

Yes, there are three options available to you when sourcing childcare in Kerry:

  • There is a Childcare Provider list available on this website on “List of Services” tab.
  • Contact Kerry County Childcare Committee for a copy of our booklet ‘A Parents Guide to Childcare in Kerry
  • Contact Tusla Early Years (Preschool) Department on 066 7184919 for a list of childcare providers or you can visit Tusla.

Can Kerry County Childcare Committee help me find a childminder?

Yes, Kerry County Childcare Committee may be able to assist you in sourcing a childminder.  There are many people in Kerry minding children in their own homes.  Those childminders who are registered with Tusla or voluntary notified to Kerry County Childcare Committee have the option of being included on a list that is made available to parents.

Please note this is not an exhaustive list of childminders in Kerry.  There are many childminders operating who are neither Tusla registered or Kerry CCC voluntary notified.  The childcare regulations stipulate that childminders caring for 4 or more children are required to register with Tusla.  Childminders caring for 3 children or less are not required to register with Tusla but can choose to voluntary notify Kerry CCC.

Parents can access this database and can also avail of the booklet “Choosing a Childminder – A Guide for Parents by contacting our office on 066 7181582 or email info@kerrycountychildcare.com or denise@kerrycountychildcare.com


I’m interested in setting up a childcare facility, can you help?

Yes, Kerry County Childcare Committee can support you in developing your own childcare service:

I’m a childminder do I need insurance?

It is recommended that all childminders should have adequate insurance.

Home:  Specific Childminding Insurance is available through Childminding Ireland, contact 01 2878466. Some home insurance companies will also amend existing policies to cover the care of children within your home.  As with all insurance policies familiarise yourself with the policy to be satisfied that it provides the cover that you need.

Car:  When taking children in your car, it is recommended that childminders contact their car insurance company to confirm that they have adequate insurance cover.

I’m a childminder do I have to pay tax on my income?

All income should be declared to the Revenue Commissioners.  Whether you pay tax or not is dependent on your earnings.  A Childminding Tax Relief/Exemption is available for voluntary notified childminders who earn less than €15,000 per annum.  For further information please contact Revenue on 066 716 1000 or Denise at Kerry County Childcare on 066 7181582.

What is Community Childcare Subvention Scheme?

The Community Childcare Subvention Programme (CCS) and Community Childcare Subvention Private Programme (CCSP) is a support programme for Community and Private based childcare services to provide quality childcare at a reduced rate to parents.  It enables community and private childcare services to reduce fees for parents in receipt of certain social welfare payments, Family Income Supplement, and holders of medical cards and GP visit cards.  Participation in the CCS programme is for both community and private childcare services.  For more detailed information contact us on 066 7181582 or see www.affordablechildcare.ie